The NFL has finally grunted out the 2014 schedule, giving starved football fans something tangible to munch on. (Ed note: not sure this image is suitable for children)
The 49ers are an 11 to 13 win team, no matter who’s on the schedule, so this gruntoid is not the big deal it used to be during the losing years of yore. And it’s certainly no substitute for watching Day Two of the Draft, which is what we should be watching tonight, if the East Coast dickheads hadn’t moved this event forward into May.
Perhaps the team could use these extra two weeks of nothingness so thoughtlessly provided and ditch a couple of slogans that have grown quite stale: QuestforSix and Who’s Got It Better Than Us?. It’s a new year and a new stadium. Let’s get some new rah-rahs.
Aldon Smith’s LAX bomb threat escapade has been dropped down from a felony to a misdemeanor, which is good for his legal woes, but probably doesn’t boost his cred with the 49ers or the league HQ. He’s due in court next Tuesday for the other illegal acts he’s committed over the past two years, and the result of that day will go a long way toward determining his fate. Will the criminal system sideline him this year or will the league do it?
Where’s Mike Singletary when you need him? Probably sitting on his front porch waiting for the phone to ring with a head coaching offer — for next year. He’s currently unemployed. When he was here in SF, he turned around several careers with his motivational skills, most notably Vernon Davis. Could he get the light to shine in Aldon’s cranium? I guess we’ll never know.
Singletary might be unemployed, but his mentor Mike Nolan is still going strong, somehow retaining his DC job in Atlanta despite yet another bottom third of the league performance by his defense. 27th in yards and points. Mike has mastered the art of intricate defensive schemes that collapse in the fourth quarter.
Speaking of the lost years, if Jim Harbaugh makes it to the BYE week this year, he will become the longest tenured 49er HC since Steve Mariucci’s six year run at the turn of the century. Despite a few howls from the wayside elements in fandom, this milestone has about a 99% chance of happening. That’s leaving a 1% chance of stroke, heart attack, bus squashing, or some other unlikely personal tragedy that might befall our hero before the BYE.
Have a pleasant weekend, guys!