Inappropriate Whatever

The blogs might be bonkering out in New Orleans these days, but they’re pretty quiet in San Francisco. The draft is only two weeks away, but it is not being fondled with the same lustful fingers as drafts in past years. I suppose this is due to the 49ers picking 30th, but aside from the two much hyped QBs, this draft does not seem to have as many can’t miss prospects, either. Teams in the top ten slots seem more interested in trading down than grabbing a prize.

Maybe it’s just the reality that only two types of players — a receiver, whether wide or tight, or a guard — have any chance of making a significant impact this year. The team has solid starters at every other position. With the addition of Randy Moss and Mario Manningham as Free Agents, it doesn’t look like a rookie WR would have much opportunity to shine in 2012, either. If a guy were that good, he shouldn’t be available at pick 30.

TE Colby Fleener gets a lot of love from the blogaftniks and several of the mock drafts have the 49ers selecting him. He’s a teensy bit slower than Delanie Walker, but six inches taller. Walker has gotten a lot of love over the six years he’s been a Niner, but he hasn’t really produced much and his contract is up at the end of the 2012 season.

Since we probably won’t be drafting guys who can be immediate starters, the Best Player Available draft stategy is likely to be used. The team is currently thin at the safety position, so a promising young prospect would make sense this year. Anthony Dixon seems replaceable at RB, and we need another ILB and OLB, as well.

Beefing up the roster depth chart is not as sexy as introducing a stud to the lineup, but that’s the way the Niner drafts are going to play out in the coming years. This is a young team that has arrived. Breaking into the starting lineup will be an uphill battle for future draft picks.

The NFL is a bit pricky about team’s giving accurate weekly injury reports, even though teams tend to hide or bloat these reports. I can’t think of anybody who benefits from these reports except the gambling industry and opposing defenses who can better target their attempts to knock players out of the game or take advantage of a weakened opponent. In keeping with Roger Goodell’s oath of hypocrisy, both of these benefitees are nominally frowned on by the league. If a player associates with gamblers, he’s tossed for life. But the league itself purrs up to the bookies legs like a hungry feline.

“Inappropriate relationship” has become the gold standard for smearing bullshit over getting caught with your pants down in the wrong place. It covers everything from cheating on your wife, to sodomy, to pedophilia, to just about anything involving sexual behavior that is but shouldn’t be. Bobby Petrino just got fired for it in Arkansas. Bill Clinton was permanently shamed by it. Inappropriate relationships, of course, are the meat and potatoes of the movie and television industries, as well as the tabloids and the British aristocracy. It’s going on all around us, hither and yon on every street and in every town. “Inappropriate” is also plastered over language and speech that is racist, fascist, sexist, hateful, or bad enough to get you banned from the NFL for a year.

It’s words like “inappropriate” and “relationship” that are blanding out America, taking the straight shootin’, straight talkin’ wild, wild west aura away from us forever. You’d never hear Humphrey Bogart use them, and that’s the way it should be but isn’t.

 ← Previous Post

Next Post → 

wordpress stats plugin

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Vacant Observations
23 comments on “Inappropriate Whatever
  1. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    In Petrino’s case the devil’s in the details. He got fired because the motorcycle accident revealed he gave his girlfriend/mistress
    a high paying job in the football dept at Hog U.
    There were over 200 applicants and only 3 were interviewed including his squeeze.
    Compounding the situation he called his State Trooper bodyguard
    to try to cover this up but somebody wasn’t willing to falsify a police report so the shit hit the fan and Petrino further lied that his mistress was a passerby who was a good samaritan helping him out of the ditch. Petrino kept weaving his web of lies and it just unraveled.
    Two things cost him his job, lying to his boss publicly on what really happened and hiring his mistress.

  2. BergerNo Gravatar says:

    I’m sure he told his wife the truth all the while?

  3. BergerNo Gravatar says:

    IMO, the injury report is for making some important inside info public. If there was no injury report gamblers would be paying team officials for this info. Ultimately it helps gamblers, but more so it is to try to keep people from being as shifty as they would otherwise be. I think it does help the integrity of the game even if it is not always accurate.

  4. unca chuckNo Gravatar says:

    Fleener would be a great addition. Esp for the red zone offense. I’m hoping he’s still there, and I don’t see Harbaugh passing him up.

  5. SkeebersNo Gravatar says:

    It’ll be Baalke’s choice. But I’m sure Harbaugh has input.

  6. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    I still say pick Fleener and if he’s gone Harrison Smith S.
    No high risk high reward picks, at least not with the first pick.

    Petrino’s mistress has retained a lawyer and might sue him for sexual harrassment. Her ex-fiancee
    is Josh Morgan (not the ex Niner)
    who’s a soccer coach at Arkansas.

  7. barleyfreakNo Gravatar says:

    What Walker gains in speed over Fleener he loses with his hands, IMO. I keep reading that he was a WR in college, but I have never thought he was gifted in the hand department. That said, if Fleener is there I’d say there’s an 80% chance Baalke grabs him. But I only think there’s a 20% chance he’s there.
    I think Manningham can be solid, if he can stay healthy. I wouldn’t bank on Moss though and they’ll surely grab another WR in the draft. If there’s a good one at 30, maybe there. Regardless of where though, rookie WR contributions are typically scant. Expecting much in year one is not realistic. Go Randy!
    It would also not surprise me at all to see Baalke trade up if he sees someone he wants. As you mention — this roster does not have a lot of openings and some of the draft picks likely won’t stick. Quality beats quantity now. Nice to be able to write that.

  8. unca chuckNo Gravatar says:

    Barley, I said nearly the same thing on my blog re Moss. They’ll be picking WR insurance in round 2, I’d think. Brian Quick is a guy to look at. Big and fast with great leaping ability.

  9. unca chuckNo Gravatar says:

    It should at least get Petino a guest appearance on Sons of Anarchy . . .

  10. robNo Gravatar says:

    ok now this topic i really like !

    ooh ya

    patron !

  11. robNo Gravatar says:

    oh wow ! just saw a nice piece on stephen hill ! he might be a good pick at 29 imho !

  12. unca_chuckNo Gravatar says:

    Who picks at 29?

  13. BergerNo Gravatar says:

    Who is also on 1st!

  14. BergerNo Gravatar says:

    Brian Billick just came up with a great comment, he said “need is a terrible evalutor”.

  15. unca chuckNo Gravatar says:

    FWIW, the job Trent Baalke did in his time of apparent ‘need’ last year was nothing short of spectacular. Without the benefit of free agency, he drafted for need across the board, and hit gold with 9 out of 10 picks.
    Sure, Cappy is an enigma at this point, but the rest (except for Ronald Johnson) are solidly in place on the team. Not too shabby.

  16. Grumpy GuyNo Gravatar says:

    Clark almost did in ’79 – he was only picked because Clemson QB Steve Fuller brought him along to catch when Walsh came calling.
    And only two teams considered Montana worth drafting: us and the Cowgirls. Everyone else had him rated as an UDFA.
    As for Billick… Walsh pretty much always drafted for need. He made mistakes there at times, but on the whole, I’ll take his draft record over Billick’s any day.

  17. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    Would you trade a 3rd round pick for Mike Wallace knowing you’ll be paying him $10mil/yr for 5 years? It’s been suggested

  18. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    Bobby Petrino is a busy and horny little bastard, there’s evidence he’s got a second mistress.
    She looks better than the blonde.

  19. BergerNo Gravatar says:

    Walsh just kept drafting D-linemen, or so it seemed. Walsh is the one who got me on the D-line wins championships bandwagon. As time went by, it seemed as though George Seifert had a bit to do with that.

  20. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    Another Gruden QB Camp this time with Tolzein’s successor Russell
    Wilson. A very sharp guy and a leader and hard worker. Worth taking a look IMHO.

  21. bullitNo Gravatar says:

    Lots of thunder and lightning in the Bay Area tonight. Thunderclaps are shaking the house. Be careful out there and be safe.

  22. SkeebersNo Gravatar says:

    New post is up.

2021 Schedules
09/12: W 49ers 41, Lions 33
09/19: W 49ers 17, Eagles 11
09/26: L Packers 30, 49ers 28
10/03: L Seahawks 28, 49ers 21
10/10: L Cardinals 17, 49ers 10
10/17 BYE
10/24: L Colts 30, 49ers 18
10/31: W 49ers 33, Bears 22
11/07: L Cardinals 31, 49ers 17
11/15: W 49ers 31, Rams 10L
11/21: W 49ers 30, Jaguars 10
11/28: W 49ers 34, Vikings 26
12/05: L Seahawks 30, 49ers 23 12/12 · 10:00 AMCIN
12/19 · 1:05 PM v ATL
12/23 · 5:20 PM v TEN
01/02 · 1:05 PM v HOU
01/09 · 1:25 PM @ LAR

2021 Draft Class
1. QB Trey Lance, North Dakota State
2. OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame
3. RB Trey Sermon, Ohio State
3. CB Ambry Thomas, Michigan
5. OG/OT Jaylon Moore, Western Michigan
5. CB Deommodore Lenoir, Oregon
5. S Talanoa Hufanga, USC
6. RB Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana
2021 Prognostications
Bullit: 12-5
Grumpy: 13-4
NJ49er: 11-6
Skeebers: 14-3
Winder: 12-5
Rob: 17-0
Spitblood: 0-17